|Status||Enabled at era 0 block 320,000 and era 1 block 0|
|Next||Sky Island 68|
Swamp Bottom is the third hard fork of the Kulupu blockchain. It's the start of the second hard fork era (era 1) of Kulupu, planned at block 320,000, estimated on 6 May, 2020.
Era switch[edit | edit source]
Swamp Bottom is an era switch. That means, it requires a stop-the-world migration. The blockchain will be paused briefly, sufficient for everyone to properly finish the migration and download the new client. At the hard fork block, era 0 block production halts with protocol rules. A fixed routine against the hard fork block and era 0 state is used for everyone to generate the new genesis block for era 1.
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- A new client version is released, with support of era 0 end hard fork. Node operators are asked to switch.
- At the hard fork block, the block production automatically pauses Clients print out a message with the content of new genesis block data.
- A second new client version is released (within hours after the hard fork block), incorporating the new genesis block data and runs the era 1 blockchain. Node operators are asked to switch again.
- The new client starts to produce new blocks when the era 1 genesis timestamp is in the past, resuming the blockchain.
Considerations[edit | edit source]
- The hard fork will require node operators to do two release switches. This is not ideal but it's the simplest in terms of development time.
- The procedure will make fork choice rule of era 0 and era 1 disconnected. This can be a philosophical issue in terms of always choosing the highest total difficulty, especially if more than one hard fork block is produced. Note that it is not a hard limitation, and it won't affect things practically. In the future, when more development time is available, it's always possible to "combine" fork choice of era 0 and era 1 again.